Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Okay, okay

Okay, so here's a new post. I know that you have all been sitting on the edge of your computer chair (or whatever your sitting on) to read it, and now you can once again have a life full of useless Becca happenings.

So, onward to the happenings! This past weekend was Chris's annual (one n or two) trip up to Berekely, and I decided to go along because I was sick of being home. As many of you know, its always interesting when Chris and I have time to hang out with no mature influence (hence this summer's work in progress). Anyways, the trip started with a four hour car ride in driving rain, which was fun. Halfway through it, the windshield wiper came off and proceeded to make a horrible screaching sound, reminicient of nails on a chalkboard. So after Chris tried to mask the sound by turning up the music (we might have been listening to the Shins then), I made him pull over so we could fix it. Yes, in the driving rain. And did we, smart people that we are, park under some sort of covering? Of course not. So we both got soaked, because of course neither of us put on a jacket.

So, let's see, what else happened on the ride up. Oh, Chris came up with a potential title for his potential story. It is actually a quote that somehow came up in normal conversation, "Even winebago's dream." I believe we were talking about the stupid pictures that are painted on the back of some RV's, of like African animals (lions and so on) and how, even if you did take a car to Africa, it certainly wouldn't be an RV or winebago, due to the fact that it would get stuck on the first hole in the dirt roads there. But even winebagos can dream of going to exotic places. And that was probably more information than you wanted, but ha. You've already read it, and I've already wasted your time! I win.

So we finally get to the Bay Area, and Chris doesn't exactly know where he's going. He knows how to get there once he sees a landmark, but he doesn't know what the landmark will be prior to seeing it. So we're listening to the soundtrack from The Life Aquatic (Very fitting. If you haven't heard it, you should listen to it) and trying to find our way to Rob's apartment (still in driving rain). Eventually (after no wrong turns, good job Chris) we get there, and Chris proceeds to parallel park. Now, to be fair, the cars on either side were very close and it was going to be a difficult park. First, after backing up and going forward about four times, Chris ends up getting stuck so that his back tire is flush against the curb, and he's too close to to front car to really do anything about it. At this point I decide that he might need some directing, so I hop out (yes, its still raining). Eventually we are able to get the car parked by some very clever maneuvering. It was impressive. And I'm wet. It was very fitting that we were listening to that soundtrack. I think I have pictures of the final product of parking, and hopefully they will be up soon.

Okay, what else. Oh! We came up with a new sort of insult/threat. "Don't make me go Darwin on your butt (or other word)." This came about because we were crossing the street, and I told Chris about the stupid people up in Spokane that wear all black and decide to cross Division in the middle of a block at 10 at night. Then I said, "I wish natural selection still applied." Because in all honesty, it no longer applies to human society. And if you want to argue that, bring it on!

Oh! And I got a Chris point! It was great. We were at swing and for some reason, punning about "bee". Don't ask me why, I don't remember. Anyways, Chris, in his usual punny way said a pun using the word "be." Something like, "It'll have to beeeeeee (with emphasis) blah blah blah." And I turned and said "Maybe you weeeeereeeeee (with emphasis)." I was gleeful because 1) I got to make fun of Chris punning and 2) I got a Chris point for it. Lauren also got a Chris point later (darn her!), for remembering Rob's nickname from Mammoth, which was Whisky Bob. Don't ask why.

Oh, and on to my philosophical rambling. So we were in the car coming back from swing, and somebody asked where we were. The response was "the middle of nowhere." Then Rob's friend Stella who had gone with us said that there can be no middle of nowhere. Since I had been stopped by Lauren from talking about the Chinese room (Penrose!), I needed to get my philosophy out for the day. I said yes there could, but she said no. So I turned to Stella and asked her why there could be no middle of nowhere. She said that because nowhere had to be ever expanding, there could be no middle of it. Now, I was about to start a full fledged argument (not that I really vehmenently disagreed with her, nor was it important, I just haven't got to argue a lot recently) but Rob ruined all my fun. He warned Stella that she wouldn't win, and it was in her best interest to stop. She asked why and he told her that I'm a philosophy major. Unfortunately, she gave up without a fight.

So I have to think about this. The first question that must be addressed is if nowhere exists. For there can only be a middle to something that actually exists. SO lets assume that nowhere exists. Does that mean that it has to be ever expanding? I don't understand that. But even if it is ever expanding, wouldn't that mean that everything is the middle of nowhere, for everything would be equidistant from the non-existent edges of nowhere? I think so. This is the same question as whether a geometric point can have a middle. I've thought about this before in the context of the universe. Medivals thought that the Earth was the center of the solar system because God created the Earth as the most important thing. This was why they couldn't accept the idea of the Earch orbiting the sun. But if the universe is expanding, can anything be the center, or is everything the center? This is somewhat different than if there were no edges to the universe, but only a little.

Okay, I'm done rambling for now, because there isn't that much to ramble about. I just wanted to let everybody know that I have been engaging my mind a little. In other news, my new website would be ready if I could get some images. Hinthint shen who has Photoshop.

Okay, that's it for now. I'm glad I've bored you by now.

No comments: