Sunday, January 22, 2006

You've got me? Who's got you?

They say confession is good for the soul, and I have one. I love Superman. It doesn’t matter what it is (cartoon, movie, tv show); if it’s about Superman, I’m probably going to be a fan. After all of the disappointments of hyped up movies lately (I won’t name them because it’s too depressing) I have refused to get excited about any more hyped up movies (until I think of X-3 at least) but I can’t help it when it comes to Superman. Even as a kid I would get excited as soon as I heard the intro to the theme song.

Most people don’t really root for Superman because there’s almost never a question if he’s going to succeed (of course he will, he’s Superman!), and in order for him to potentially fail, the plot must draw in space aliens or space rocks of some sort. Sometimes even huge evil robots. He’s not one of those superheroes that is just normal and uses gadgets or good training to fight (Batman) and doesn’t have a couple powers here and there, but really needs a team to kick some butt (X-Men). He works it. He goes against any human, and he’s going to win. He doesn’t have to be crafty or cunning. He's just a big super boy scout in a blue suit.

But deep inside the story of superman are real moral questions. Why does he save the world when he really doesn’t have any connection to it other than it’s his adopted home. Why is he so good and was never tempted to do evil (I’m sure in some version of some story he is tempted and commits evil, but not in the mainstream stuff as far as I know). Superman is good, but why? What makes him so innately good that his father knows he will use his powers for good and not evil on Earth where he could be Supreme Ruler of All?

So I don't care what other people think. Superman is the coolest super hero there is.

No comments: