Monday, April 02, 2007

Close Encounters of a Three Kinds

I decided to take a trip down to LA this weekend and to visit with Robert a little bit. So I left on Sunday morning to head down to Santa Monica. When I was about to Pyramid Lake, I looked into my rear view window and see a white Trailblazer. So I thought to myself, "Hey, that could Tim, going back from Spring Break." Of course I didn't really think that it would be Tim. But lo and behold, that Trailblazer pulled up next to me and I looked over and it was Tim! Which was pretty hilarious.

Now, everybody knows that I procrastinate, and the latest thing that I've put off doing has been to register my car. So as of yesterday my registration was officially expired. Normally I don't see very many cops on the drive down to LA, usually one or less. But this trip I saw no less than 4 cops, and 3 park rangers. One of these cops almost pulled up right behind me at a red light, where he would have had a perfect view of my out of date tags. Luckily he turned left just before the light. But it was pretty funny. Or annoying or whatever.

The last encounter was of a different kind. Some of you may know that Rob has been playing D&D with some people for the past year. Well I decided to finally go down and join, which was part of the reason for the trip. So I got to play a regular character in the party because his player couldn't be there this weekend. Now D&D isn't like your normal video game where if your character dies you can just reload the previous auto-save and try again. If your character dies, she's dead, unless you can find a cleric to rez her, and that's rather difficult and expensive.

Generally if you die you just reroll another character and start over at level 1. Of course, dying isn't all that common since you have to get down to -10 health. I got this guys character to 0 health (at -1 you drop unconscious and bleed out 1 health per round until -10). I'm not all that attached to this character, but I imagine that Jerome is pretty attached, so I don't really want him to die. So I run away to a healer (who happens to be Robert) when we only have the last guy left to kill. Most of the party was beat up, so I decided to try to be a hero and fire my bow at the guy instead of hiding, even though I knew that after I fired he would have a clear shot at me.

I hit the guy for 5 damage (which really isn't that much), but considering he was at 0 health (which we didn't know) it was enough to knock him unconscious and out of the tree. And of course the fall killed him. So I didn't die. But since it was April Fool's Day, one of the group members called Jerome and told him that Jork had died, which was pretty hilarious.

No comments: