Monday, January 07, 2008

Up in the Sky!

So, I think most people are aware of my somewhat recent obsession with comics. Well, actually, so far I have refrained from buying actual comics (with the exception of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8), but wait for the good ones to come out in book form and read them then. I just thought I'd share some of my favorites (and maybe some people will join me in my nerdness).

52 - My first encounter with this series was in book form (as in paragraphs and sentences), but it was so good that I had to find the visual version of it. This was a weekly (which is amazing in comics) comic that used a huge number of DC characters, but noticeably missing are the big three - Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. It takes place pretty much right after Infinite Crisis, and is really good. It focuses on some of the more interesting superheroes, morally speaking, including Black Adam, who is pretty much classified as a villain, but toes the line.

Kingdom Come - This was a Christmas gift from my grandparents, and I've been hearing about it for a long time, but have never found it in Bakersfield. I read it in one sitting, and it's a 225 page book, if that tells you how good I thought it was. Basically, all of our current heroes are old, and have for one reason or another retired, but their inheritors have seriously screwed up. So the question is, should superhumans (for the most case, extra-terrestrials) even play a part in human life, or should it only be up to actual humans. Very, very good.

Marvel 1602 - This is the only Marvel comic I've read, and for good reason. While I can't see anything wrong with Marvel, it has never been my favorite of the two for some reason, but this book was different. It took a handful of the most popular and powerful of the Marvel characters, and placed them in Elizabethan England. I think my favorite character in this book was Daredevil, which was a real surprise. It's written by Neil Gaiman, which was probably most of the reason I bought it.

No comments: