Saturday, April 19, 2008

Economists say the darndest things.

And I used to think philosophy was bad. I thoroughly enjoy reading sentences like this; for some reason it makes me happy.

"My own scholarship has covered a great variety of fields. And many of them involve questions like welfare economics and factor-price equalization; turnpike theorems and osculating envelopes; nonsubstitutability relations in Minkowski-Ricardo-Leontief-Metzler matrices of Mosak-Hicks type; or balanced-budget multipliers under conditions of balanced uncertainty in locally impacted topological spaces and molar equivalences. My friends warn me that such topics are suitable merely for captive audiences in search of a degree-and even then not after dark."

Even better, I believe this was first given as a speech. Absolutely bloody brilliant.

No comments: