Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I did learn one thing

As much as it pains me to admit it, I did learn one thing from senior English. Of course, I would have learned it later in college, but I have to be fair and admit where I learned it once. Post hoc ergo propter hoc (it's even in Latin!) is a philosophical fallacy that says because one thing follows after another, the first thing caused it.

The reason I bring this up is because I have, in the past, been accused of killing television shows. The argument is that if I start regularly watching a show, within a year or two, it will be canceled. This came up in conversation with Chris and Jessica, because Chris started making a list of shows that he wants me to start watching - American Idol, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, and Law and Order: CI (I'm sure I've forgotten some).

I'd like to claim that me killing television shows is a post hoc fallacy, but really, I don't think I can.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Correlation does not equal causation. Except in this case. ;)