Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

You know, I'm a little bit scared about what is going to happen after tomorrow. It seems to me that there are a lot more polar issues this election day than there have been in the past. Perhaps this is because primary campaigning started so early, so people have been talking about it longer than I'm used to, but it seems like there are so many issues going on tomorrow than is normal. And this isn't just in the presidential election, but there are a couple of California props that have very strong supporters for both sides.

Regardless of how things turn out tomorrow, I think a lot of Americans are going to be very upset. I mean, how does it make you feel to not have the candidate you voted for win, especially if you're completely convinced that they are the only hope for America? This is the first election that I've really paid attention (how could I help but do so), and it really makes me think about democracy.

How does it feel to be a part of the minority when it comes to voting? I guess I know from the primaries, and I have to admit that I'm still not totally convinced that my choice shouldn't have won - but I guess that makes sense, because why else would I have voted the way I did?

All this to say that I'm actually really worried to see how people take both winning and losing tomorrow on all the controversial issues. There are going to be winners and losers, and I really don't think that tomorrow will end the discussion from both sides about what is right and wrong. If anything, it could polarize people even more, and polarization is the thing I despise most about politics.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

There are a lot of people who won AND lost. That makes it easy to know how both sides feel, I guess.