Thursday, March 05, 2009

Heroes

I am officially caught up on this season of Heroes. I must say, I really enjoyed being able to watch all of the beginning of the season in a row. I think that was really the only problem with it - it was pretty slow to build up (which most people won't enjoy), but once it did, it was awesome. The episodes that have happened since the New Year have been rather cliche and disappointing. Hopefully things will get going, though.

I heard that a lot of people didn't like the early season 3 episodes. I didn't stop watching because of that, but rather because there were other things I had to watch on Mondays. I always planned on catching up and continuing with Heroes. So, I think the problem with the first episodes is that there were a handful of new characters introduced, while others kept dying, or almost dying, or dying and then coming back to life. The problem with all of this is that viewers don't know who to invest in.

For example, much of season 2 was spent investing in DL and Nikki. But whoops, now they're both dead, and their son is pretty much written out of the script (although I have a hope that he'll return).

Another problem is time travel. This is rather key to the show, mostly because they use it as an information gathering device for the characters (either through painting the future or traveling to it), and the more you use time travel, the bigger potential hole you are digging to bury yourself in. I'm getting sick of characters seeing the future, changing it, but then still thinking that other things they've seen will still be true. I'm thinking that they will out of necessity have to keep the time travel/pre-knowledge to a minimum, which means down playing everybody's favorite character and my personal favorite character (who are not the same character).

Hopefully they'll keep the show around. The characters have a lot of room to grow, and I'd like them to have the time to do it. I have a feeling that at the end of this season there is going to be a dynamic change in their setting, and so far no show has really had a chance to explore that setting (the 4400 got close, but it got canceled before it could. X-Men 3 also touched on it, but you can't explore things in a movie the way you can in a show).

No comments: