Monday, March 23, 2009

Yay soccer!

I much prefer outdoor to indoor soccer. This is mostly because my strength is being in being an outside midfielder is opening up the field and using as much space as possible - and this isn't really something you can do playing indoor. But, it's still soccer, and given no alternative, I'll play whatever I can.

So I decided to check out the indoor league here yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised. The field is much bigger than I expected (not basketball court sized like I was expecting), and instead of playing on hardwood floor, it's a bit closer to turf. So even though I get stretch out like I would prefer, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The really frustrating thing is my team. They're a great group of people, but none of them have played soccer competitively (or if they have, not at the level I'm used to), and I often feel like I'm still coaching when I show up for games. Not that it's horrible - just a little frustrating, although obviously not frustrating enough to make me stop having fun or playing. And besides, maybe they'll learn something!

Of course, it's lame that the league just started and I'm going to miss the next three weeks because I'll be out of town.

No comments: