Thursday, May 21, 2009

Evil friend

Robert is evil. Both times this semester that I've had a lengthy paper due, he's provided me with new a new project/information. The first time was a link to a code that I then had to solve the day before my paper was due. Luckily, about 10 minutes after being sent the link, the paper was given an extension, so I was able to decipher the code without guilt or time constraint.

Then tonight, as I'm trying to work on my take home final, he sends me information on the Netflix contest that has apparently been going on for years. The contest is to create an algorithm that does a better job at guessing user ratings based on previous ratings then their current method. Movies, econometrics, and computers? I suddenly wish I knew more about programing algorithms than I do, not because I want to try for the prize, but because I just want to play.

Oh well. Back to economic history.

No comments: