Monday, October 12, 2009

More soccer talk

So, whenever we have an odd number of people at practice, I tend to have to play (to keep the numbers even). Unfortunately, this usually gives my team an advantage, but there's no way around it. I try my best not to play my best (ironic, I know), and sometimes it actually works to an advantage.

Some of my stronger players have discovered that it's fun to go up against me, and see it as something of a challenge to mark me. This is great, because it means they're pushing themselves, but it saddens me that they don't play that well against their teammates (or opponents for that matter). I think that's one of the advantages of playing on a high school (varsity) team as a freshman or sophomore. While you might play more (as one of the better players) on a JV team, you won't be pushed as much in practice, and you spend far more time during the season practicing than you do playing games.

Quite a few of my players have definitely hit their teenage years, and while there's a group that would rather just talk all through practice, I think there's only one player who is actively trying to not do what I say. Which I'm fine with, because I can easily bench one player, but it would be much more difficult to bench four.

No comments: