Sunday, September 18, 2005

Basque food and soccer

Last night my family got together in honor of my grandpa's birthday. We would usually go to Woolgrowers for a gathering like this, but couldn't for some reason, so we went to Benji's. Both have Basque food, which is pretty fun. There's the "Set up," which includes bread, vegetable soup, beans, tomatos, salad, tounge (yes, tounge), and french fries. Then you order your main meal, which comes with either red or white wine.

It was great fun, as anything with my extended family is. We were there for about two and a half hours just talking and carrying on. It was hard to tell which half of the table was louder, the young side or the older side. Only one of my cousins was there, which could have had something to do with it, since the more of us there are, the louder we get.

Today was the second week of the women's soccer league I play in, but I couldn't play last week because I was camping. The new team I'm on is very interesting. They are all older than me (which I've come to expect), but only a couple years. The "manager" was actually my coach for a year in high school, and is somewhat difficult to get along with. A lot of them have small children running around, which is funny, because when the ball isn't near a person, they tend to look over to the sideline to make sure their kids are behaving.

I don't have much in common with them, except that most of them have played before and know how to pass. There are a couple really good players who have lost a bit of touch, but it doesn't matter because of the competition. It was nice being able to make a run and know that the person with the ball would be able to get it to me, so I got to do a lot less running.

No comments: