Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Boring post, don't read (I'm serious)

It's amazing how much time I can waste writing then erasing both titles to posts and posts themselves. Especially when I have been posting frequently. But I usually post when I need to waste time, so I guess it's all good. If this post is so boring, you may be wondering why I posted it. Well, I did because it's my blog, and I can do what I want, even just write my rambling thoughts down. And I need to waste 45 minutes before I can go home.

I've been thinking lately about culturally expected actions, and how I hate them. But there must be some reason for them. Actually, I've been thinking about a short story by OSC in the Enderverse about when Andrew's mom and dad met. Now, they were both brilliant, and she (Teresa) was a grad student in like cultural anthropology and ended up teaching him (John Paul). So they started talking about survival of the fittest and societal influenced actions and what not, and I have to wonder how true it is that society causes actions that are going to help it survive. I mean, there's always been Darwin's idea of survival of the fittest (don't make me go Darwin on your butt!) and I've always had a little bit of trouble buying it. I mean, sure, it makes sense, but doesn't seem to apply to humans anymore. Seriously, look at current reproductive trends. It's not the smart people having lots of babies.

Anyways, does this mean that SoF doesn't apply anymore? Or does it mean that instead of breeding traits in individuals that will help us survive (big teeth and claws) we're "breeding" actions in society that will cause the survival of individuals (certain societies). Like the fact that you should work and not be lazy, and "grow up." I've always hated the idea of growing up, and yet it seems like I can't get out of it. It's ingrained into me (okay, not acting old, but getting a job and what not).

I told you not to read this, but since you have, you should read the short story, I think it's called Teacher's Pet. Actually, you just have to read the first part, because after that it's about John Paul trying to get Teresa to like him (apparently he succeeds because they are married and have three kids in Ender's Game), but the class part is interesting. That's what I love about OSC's books - they make me think long after I'm done reading them.

No comments: