Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Word of the day

Last night I woke up and thought to myself that the word "sarcast" should exist. As in, "I was just sarcasting." And then I promptly went back to sleep. So I'm creating a new word. However, the question arises whether it should be passive or active. I vote for active, because we don't really have a lot of passive verbs in English (actually, we might not have any, except for passive versions of active verbs). And passive verbs are so hard to use, and with sarcasm, it's all about the doer, because the receiver is usually being made fun of, so they don't even matter. And since I vote for active, active it is.

Anyways, the reason for this when you say, "I was being sarcastic," you really mean that I made a sarcastic action. Because, if we're honest, most of us are "being sarcastic" all the time, we just don't always say the sarcastic things we think. So to say, "I was being sarcastic," and to use the word sarcastic as a temporal adjective is silly. Really, sarcastic is describing a part of my personality, but saying "I was sarcasting" is pointing out when exactly I was letting that part of my personaility out.

We don't say, "I was being joking," do we? No, of course not. So why do we say, "I was being sarcastic?" We shouldn't, and therefore I'm going to start using my new word, sarcast. Later will come all it's irregular forms (if there are any, I haven't decided yet) and it's derivation from the ancient languagues.

No comments: