Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Vacation of sorts

So today was the last official day. And the last unofficial day too, I guess. I've cleaned out my desktop, which we all know is far more important to me than my actual desk (and by desktop I mean in the computer sense) and have all the important files safely stored in Soren or the wild world of the internet.

Anyways, I guess I've got a couple of post to put up here for the time that I'm gone, so read them all in one sitting our pace yourself so you can get your Becca fix when you need it (I know everybody is going to read them at once because honestly, who needs a Becca fix?).

Post #1 - Potential
Growing up I never understood the importance of the beginning of a month, but my venture into the work world has given me a new perspective. Actually, to be honest, tracking my monthly movie watching has given me the perspective, I'll just tell the adults of the world the part about working to make them feel better.

But closing up the previous month and looking forward to the blank slate of a new one is a great feeling. I feel like I have all the potential in the world looking at the coming TCM calendar and my growth potential. There's an open challenge of "what can I do this month" that excites me and makes me want to jump right in with the movies. Of course, this month is bittersweet because I'm going to miss so many movie watching days, but I'm equally looking forward to spending some time in the wilderness possibly catching up on the books I need to read. But I do love the potential that the first of the month brings.

Post #2 - AS, AD, P, and Q

So lots of people know that I really enjoy economics, so I thought I'd just point out a case of it at work. We've all heard about the bird flu lately, and there have been some serious economics ramifications because birds are being killed because of the danger of them passing along the disease.

Those being especially hit hard are the professional badminton players in the world. Unlike the widely known plastic shuttlecock, professional players use actual feathers in the construction of their shttlecocks (16 goose feathers, traditionally). The price of them has gotten as high as $20 in some places! This is just your traditional example of a decrease in supply causing a increase in price, although it is a bit different because we're talking about the decrease in supply of a part of a final product. The basic idea is still the same, though.

And yes, I do realize that most of you are going to start having those recurring nightmares from Senior year econ, but for some of us, this is fun.

Post #3 - I'm brilliant!

So this past weekend I watched Donnie Darko for the first time. Don't ask me why it took so long for me to see this movie, I am deeply ashamed and sorry for my actions. I did find it fun, though, that illustrated in Donnie Darko is the idea from which I get the title of this blog. So yes, I'm brilliant. But then, we all knew that already.

And if you still don't know what I'm talking about, it's the cool looking thing that occasionally comes out of people's chest and is supposed to indicate where they will be in time. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Post #4 - Disturbing

Gene Kelly isn't my favorite actor, although he's the star in possibly my favorite musical. I've never liked many of his movies, mostly because the musical numbers in them just don't make sense, for the most part. Take An American in Paris, for example. You could shorten the movie by about half if you took out the stupid ballet that it's so famous for, and (in my opinion) make the movie better.

The same is pretty much true of Summer Stock, which is all about a director who puts on a show in a barn and tempts the barn owner (Judy Garland) into show business. But the last part of the movie is them putting on the musical (of which Be Happy is a part) and it plain doesn't make sense. Did people actually go to see shows like so many of the shows within shows? Because I don't see the point, but then, I like plot in my movies (and plays) so maybe I'm weird.

It did have a very disturbing number in which Kelly and Phil Silvers are apparently hickey farm hands with very big feet. I can't do justice to this scene with words, but it ends with a pack of dogs (which Callie loved), and was all very very disturbing.

So that's it. I'll shortly be packing for my adventure into the great unknown, and will hopefully come back with stories of running from bears and the like.

No comments: