Thursday, July 27, 2006

Inefficiency

So I like things to run efficiently. Mostly because efficient things allow me to be lazy. And get done quicker, which allows for more movie watching or video game playing. But I don't just like efficiency in my time - I also like energy efficiency, and some things I just don't understand.

So working in an office I understand that there's going to be different temperature preferences, and that compromise will have to be found between people who like it cold, and those who like it hot. But I can't understand how people can be using floor heaters during the peak of summer. All that means is that somebody else is being selfish and has turned the AC down way too much. Seriously, I know two people in my office use floor heaters regularly (and there's a total of 8 people in the building) and I've seen ladies in the other building with theirs on, too.

Then there's the fact that I know lots of people (my entire family) who leave lights and TVs on all night. I'd really like to do a study to see how much energy it takes to leave a TV on all night. Anybody know? Anybody know how to test it? There's got to be a website out there that tells you how much energy certain appliances use (and how much that costs!).

All I can say is that in the middle of hearing people complain how much energy costs, there are some pretty simple things that are beginning to really annoy me about how others are inefficient with their energy. After all, increased demand is a surefired way to increase price (and the converse it true).

I think I like Mr. Nelson's idea of hooking up a generator to a bike to power a television. Think my family would buy it? And now this has become a really long rant. Sorry.

No comments: