Sunday, July 15, 2007

We didn't need voices; we had faces.

One of the things I love about watching older movies is that I can compare today's society with yesterday's societies. This can occasionally be done by creating a period piece, like the recent Pride and Prejudice, or biopics, but I really enjoy watching an old comedy or drama and comparing how different movies are today.

In particular, lately I've seen two "battle of the sexes" comedies from different eras, each made by the famous match-up of their respective decades. "Pat and Mike" is from 1952 and is a Tracy/Hepburn movie. "Lover Come Back" is from 1961 and is a Hudson/Day movie. I'm not going to go into specifics of how each movie differs from the other and everything, but people often wonder why I like old movies so much, and this is one of the main reasons, and I think it's most obvious in romantic comedyish movies.

Of course, it's also fun to watch movies that feature families and see how different that life is from now (recent example: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"), but a lot of times, movie families aren't typical, because if they were, they wouldn't be real interesting.

No comments: