Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Dead Zone

So I've gotten away from my series a month idea, but I thought it was time to bring it back. USA has a show called The Dead Zone which is based on characters from a Steven King novel. This novel was also made into a movie which starred Christopher Walken in 1983. This show has been around for a while (recently finished its 6th season this past summer), but I never really looked into it because with Steven King's name attached to it, I thought it would be more akin to horror than it actually is. With a name like The Dead Zone, I expected him to be seeing ghosts or something like that, but really, it just refers to the part of his brain that he uses.

But luckily, this past summer it was on immediately after The 4400, so I started catching episodes of it as I was getting ready for bed. I think I watched probably four episodes this way, all of which were at the end of the season, and got intrigued. So I decided to download the first season and watch it to find out what the show is all about.

So far, things look pretty good. The basic idea of the show is that John Smith seems to have the ability to experience past and future events by touch the objects or people around him. This happens because he is in a coma for 7 years, and when he wakes up, he not only has to integrate himself back into society (a lot could happen in 7 years, like your finance getting married and having a son, strangely enough named John Smith), and dealing with this ability, and people knowing about his ability. It's similar to The 4400 because the ability given protagonist doesn't try to hide them (like in Smallville or Charmed), and that leads to some fun episodes. I especially liked the one about witchcraft.

Unfortunately it's a summer series, so that means only 13 episodes per season, but that can also be a good thing, I guess, although I can't think of a reason right now.

No comments: