Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Embracing my inner-nerd

Okay, we all know I don't have trouble doing that, but I thought I'd share. For the past year and a half, I've been getting more and more into comics. Mostly this means graphic novels, but half the time, I'm reading compilations of weekly or monthly comics in graphic novel form. It's hard to pick an overall favorite of the ones I've read, but I can definitely pick a favorite in terms of art.

Back in the day, the art of comics was pretty run-of-the-mill. I believe they were usually printed in Sunday morning papers, along with whatever comic books came out. But these days, the art in them can be amazing - especially if it is originally published as a novel (and I mean graphic novel). Kingdom Come is such an example of amazing art (it's got a pretty good story, too). I can't imagine how much time the artist had to put into it.

Currently, this is adorning my laptop, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.



Obviously, that's Superman in the middle, and his reflection is Captain Marvel. They're both surrounded by a pantheon of superheroes (you can see Diana (Wonder Woman), Green Lantern, and the Flash directly behind him).

My only complaint against comics is that there's just so many of them! There's no way I can keep up with all the characters that I love.

1 comment:

rob said...

Awesome desktop. I think the best touch are the gloves that are just barely visible from the perspective of the viewer.