Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I miss the cold

I think summer officially starts soon, and I’m definitely missing my winter. Don’t get me wrong, I love the summer. I love that it stays light until 9:00 (even if it does make it so I never want to go to sleep) and I love playing games outside in the heat. I love all the fun things that go along with summer – outside concerts, swim parties, and camping. But winter is my season.

For one, it’s always associated with soccer for me. High school soccer season ran all winter long, and even if it wasn’t technically winter when I played up on Spokane, it still felt like what a Bakersfield winter feels like. Then there’s all the snow activities of the winter, even if I haven’t had much of them lately. Snowball fights, snow football and soccer, and most importantly snowboarding are only possible in the winter.

Of course the winter also has its drawbacks. Fog means waking up earlier than I would like, and the fact that it’s still dark until about 6:30 makes waking up early difficult. Living in Spokane during the winter meant adding at least half an hour to any drive time, not to mention digging cars out of the snow and walking carefully because of ice. Actually, ice was awesome because you could have contests about who would fall the least and the most because of ice, and watching it happen is great, but still inconvenient.

I miss wearing layers. Winter is my favorite clothing season (did I just say I have a favorite clothing season? Wow), mostly because it’s the easiest. It’s very easy to dress appropriate for the weather (you don’t have to guess if it’s going to be warm or cold – it’s going to be cold), and I love wearing long sleeves. And scarves and beanies. And especially sweatshirts and vests. And gloves. And mittens. I wish I could wear winter clothing all year long.

So here’s to decreasing marginal time until it’s winter again, now that spring is over. Yay for winter being close than it is far away

No comments: