Thursday, July 06, 2006

Year in Review

So the half year mark has come and gone, and it's a little disconcerting. Usually, I have my school schedule to keep my sense of placement in the year real, but not this year. So it was a little strange when I realized about a week ago that it should now be closer to the end of the year than the beginning. And as such, I've decided to post my Year in Review.

Now, most of what this will be about is movies, because the events of my life for the past six months have been pretty mundane and repetitive. So I won't bore you with them. But I will give my opinion on the movies that I've seen in the past six months. And shock you all with their sheer number (and I will show you what a complete loser I am and how much time I spend alone in my room watching movies by the number). But I don't care.

First off, I've seen 139 movies this year. Now, these are movies that I've seen for the first time, so it doesn't count repeat viewings of the same movie. This is actually more like 128 movies, because some of them I didn't see the whole thing (stupid 25 minute drive home from work). To break this up a little bit, I've seen 6 movies in theaters (four that have been released this year), 12 on HBO, and 27 on DVD. That leaves the rest to be seen on TCM. That leaves about 83 to be seen on TCM for those of you who are counting. 87 of the movies I've seen this year have been on one AFI list or another. So that's the numbers, now on to content.

I really think I'm going to be unable to pick a favorite movie seen this year, mostly because of the sheer number of really great ones that I've seen, but I'll break it up into categories and hopefully make some desicisions.

First, on the AFI lists:
Film: Lawrence of Arabia
Thrill: Rear Window
Comedy: Bringing Up Baby
Passion: It Happened One Night
Hero: Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)
Villain: Hannibal Lector (The Silence of the Lambs)
Non-AFI movie: Dark City

Close runners up were: Some Like It Hot, Ball of Fire, The Quiet Man, On the Waterfront, and To Have and Have Not.

My favorite book has been: The Once and Future King
Favorite Season of TV: Firefly

So there's my boring recap of the year - hopefully the rest of the year will see me doing something other than sitting around watchign more movies.

But I doubt it.

No comments: