Saturday, August 23, 2008

Olympics

I haven't blogged anything about the Olympics because I figured that the news does enough of that, but it's time to break the silence. The other day I was watching the men's race walk, which is quite possibly the most entertaining event in the Olympics to watch. It's not very exciting (after all, they're just walking), but the motion that they have to use to get maximum speed out of walking is absolutely hilarious. I couldn't find any pictures that would do it justice, but trust me (and check out a video if you feel like it).

In much more important events, the US won the gold in women's soccer, and lost the gold in women's softball. Surprisingly, these are both good things. Gold in soccer for the obvious reason that I'm always excited when the US women win, and they managed to defeat Brazil, without the help of their star forward and goal scorer. It was tied 0-0 at the end of regulation, and the US put one in during the first 10 or so minutes of overtime, but then had to hold on for the full 30 minutes against arguably the best forward line in soccer (Brazil's Marta is absolutely amazing to watch). We're going to have a practice for my U14 team where we just watch the game and I explain what's going on.

The US losing the softball gold is a good thing because it might mean that softball gets put back as an Olympic sport. This was the first lost I think since it became an Olympic sport (1996), and since then the US has only allowed something like 6 runs. So the Committee took it off because they said the US dominated too much. So hopefully they'll no rethink that, and it'll be back in for the 2016 Olympics.

I should probably say something about the 8 golds that Phelps has won, but really, I just don't care.

No comments: